- This experiment will show how water and nutrients travel up in a plant through the stem to the leaves and flowers.
- The celery represents the stem of a plant.
- celery stalk with with leafy part attached at the top
- food coloring
- Have the children use hand lens to observe a stalk of celery.
- Have the teacher or students add water into a container.
- Have the teacher or students add approximately 10 drops of food coloring in the container of water.
- Ask the students to predict what will happen to the celery if they put it in the container.
- Add the celery to the container and have students sketch a picture.
- Let the celery stalk stand in the container for 24-48 hours.
- Have the students observe and sketch the celery stalk again.
- What happened? Why? Were the students' predictions correct?
- Older students could write an explanation in their science journals/notebooks.