LIGHT is a form of Energy.
LIGHT SOURCES are objects that make their own light
- Ask children to brainstorm a list of Light Sources. (Sun, stars, light bulbs, car headlights, flashlights, fireflies, etc.)
- Ask if they know of any light sources that we can not see (X rays, radio waves, microwaves)
ActivityCan you see a light beam?
- spray bottle filled with water
- Darken a room.
- Turn on the flashlight and aim it across the darkened room. Have the children observe.
- Ask students if they can see a light beam.
- Have students predict what will happen if they spray some water in front of the flashlight?
- Turn on the flashlight again and spray the water in the flashlight's path of light. Have the children observe.
- Ask the children to explain what they see. (They should see a beam of light.)
- Explain that the water reflects the light and that is why they can now see the beam of light.
- Have students draw pictures of what they saw before and after the water was sprayed in front of the lit flashlight.