In this activity students will listen to sounds of objects that are hidden inside similar containers. They will shake the containers, describe the sounds they hear, and try to name the objects in the containers based on the sound it makes.
- 6 or more plastic containers with lids (You may want to number the containers.)
- a collection of items that fit inside the containers (pennies, crayons, pebbles, rice, sand, erasers, straws, etc.)
- paper and pen (optional)
- Students (or the teacher) shake a container and listen to the sounds.
- Students describe the sound they hear.
- Students write, draw, or say aloud what they think is in the container.
- The container is opened and students check their answer.
- Continue these steps with all the other containers.
Follow-up Discussion Questions
- Which container had the loudest sound?
- Which container had the softest sound?
- Were any of the sounds similar? Which ones?
- Which was the easiest sound to identify? Why?
- Which was the hardest sound to identify? Why?